On Saturday, Nov. 25, things will start to look a lot like Christmas in Great Bend.
“Holiday events are coming along nicely,” Community Coordinator Christina Hayes said. There will be the annual lighted Home for the Holidays parade, Santa Claus and a host of other seasonal activities.
“We are looking forward to kicking off the official Christmas holiday the Saturday after Thanksgiving,” she said. “This is a great event for us.”
Local musician and longtime educator Joe Boley will serve as the grand marshal, and the theme for the annual event will be “The Music of Christmas.”
In addition, November has been Explore Great Bend Month with drawings at participating businesses, and different themes each weekend. “Each weekend has been a success,” and the winners will also be chosen during the Saturday night activities, she said.
Here is a rundown of the festive events Saturday:
• Trail Of Lights opens. The Great Bend High School class of 1985 will be the greeters that night. 8 a.m. to noon - Last chance to participate in the $1,000 Explore Great Bend contest
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Dilly & Doc Pop-up Market, At Dilly & Doc, 1119 Main, and the Argonne Bingo Hall, 1123 Main (See story on page 2B)
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Great Bend Cookie Contest: Cookie Central is at Rosewood Furniture Gallery, 1607 Main
• 5:30 p.m. - Home for the Holidays Lighted Parade on Main Street
• 6:15 p.m. - Light up the Square at Jack Kilby Square:
- Annual lighting of the Mayor’s Tree by Mayor Cody Schmidt
- Christmas carol games
- Announcement of Cookie Contest, Parade, and Explore GB winners
- Visit Santas Around the World
- Pick up a Rosewood Golden Ticket at the Trail of Lights
- Horse-drawn carriage and wagon rides provided by Rosewood Services
- Free train rides provided by the City of Great Bend
- Free hot dogs, hot chocolate, funnel cakes, cider, cookies and more.
For additional information regarding the Home for the Holidays Festival and Parade, call 620-793-4111 or via email email@example.com.